Thursday, March 18, 2021

THE PRESENT AND FUTURE HOME OF THE BLUE REVOLUTION HEADQUARTERS

THIS IS THE THIRD IN A SERIES ON THE BLUE REVOLUTION FROM THE BLOG SITE OF ONE OF THE DIRECTORS, PATRICK TAKAHASHI.

I conclude my series on the Blue Revolution with some photos of the current headquarters, located on the Manoa Campus of the University of Hawaii.  First, an aerial photo which shows us at the foot of Diamond Head.  Actually we are a couple of miles away.


The Gold Tree is currently blooming.  First, Bachman Hall, where sits President David Lassner.  A walk towards the Pacific Ocean Science and Technology Building, where I can be found on the first floor, is Holmes Hall, where I spent my first 25 years.  I came in 1972, this building was built a couple of years later, and I created and chaired the annual open house the first few years.  This tradition continues.


Of course, the POST building is blue, and is surrounded by Gold Trees.  The entrance to my office where is kept the Blue Revolution library:


Note the Blue Iris copy of Vincent Van Gogh.  On one wall:


The Matsunaga Hydrogen Act and laying of pipes at the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority.  The Blue Revolution bookshelf, with key publications on my desk:


Everything of import about the Blue Revolution can be found here.  When I moved from my Hawaii Natural Energy Director's office to the Pacific Ocean Science and Technology building in 2000, I sent three fourths of the paperwork to the university library.  

I had a special office in POST, for the then director of the School of Ocean and Earth Sciences and Technology, Barry Raleigh, called me in one day, and as I was instrumental in locating the initial funds to build the structure, said go to the fourth floor and pick out where you want to stay.  The whole floor then had no walls for offices, so I picked the Makai/Ewa corner.  Eventually, I stayed there for five years, then moved to 103B, at which time I threw away at least 75% of the books and files I had then.  Thus, what is now here represents the best 6.25% of what previously existed.

Some day, much of this paperwork will be relocated to the future home of the Blue Revolution.  A posting a few months ago suggested that these headquarters be located where currently sits the now defunct downtown site of Hawaii Electric Company's power plant:


The architectural design could well come from a fusion of these two concepts:

-